Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which honing set do you use?

Which honing set do you use?

I have two honing systems. My proper set is a warthog double diamond which my wife bought me 3 years ago and my hunting bag honer is an ezelap.

I do most of my sharpening on the belt sander, other than that I use mainly the old Lansky....

I use two stones a Norton India medium /fine bench stone i sharpen on the fine (360grit)side until i have a nice burr i then use a 2000grit water stone to remove the burr

Blog Entries
    Same as Henning, except I strop my blades with red buffing soap on a piece of leather instead of going to a 1000grit stone.

I forgot to add, I use 1200 and up grit wet and dry sandpaper to remove the burr...I stretch it over a little block of wood onto which I have glued a piece of soling leather.

I've been in the market for a whetstone for quite some time. Just as soon as the cash is there.

Spyderco Sharpmaker, works a treat and simple.
    just medium and fine, then strop with polinum Platinum and stainless polishing compound on leather

actually used it last night on ZDP- 189- took a while but works a treat

I have used a few different methods throughout the years but I have found the following to work well.

100 grit sanding paper tightened over a piece of granite for re-profiling an edge. Removes a lot of metal fast.

A 30 year old carbide silicone stone, course and fine.

Lansky kit (only the fine and extra fine stones I feel are worth it, just to polish the edge)

Leather strop with white and green compound. Found locally at a Builders Warehouse.

Field tools:

A Lansky diamond paddle 600grit.

Lansky Crock stick with extra fine ceramic rods.

What I am considering getting is a buck diamond sharpener, but I am still not sure if I want the large benchstone setup or go with the more portable field sharpener.

I subsisted on a Sharpmaker for a number of years and then decided to get serious. On the advice of a friend I got a DMT DuoSharp system (fine and ultrafine). This a double sided set of diamond coated benchstones. You can sharpen anything on this set-up. At the same time I got a Spyderco Ceramic benchstone (fine grit). Bear in mind both of these require freehand skills. Beyond that, I use the back of an exam pad to maintain an edge. The DMT set is most useful with super steels and kitchen knives that have really taken a hammering. Otherwise I just use the Spydie gear and the exam pad mostly.

Just picked this one up!