Thread: Take the pain out of cutting a nail nick

Take the pain out of cutting a nail nick

Even old time folder makers (including me) still find it difficult to cut a nice nail nick. I have tried them all, but the fly cutter remains the best for doing the job. You still need to clean it up to get a smooth good looking nick. I wanted something to cut the nick after hardening. Fortunately I know the owner of the factory making the borazon cup wheels I am using for surface grinding. I have ordered a new one, and on picking up my wheel, I thought, let me ask this man what he can offer for cutting a nail nick. He emediately said - a borazon cup wheel dressed to the angle you want it. I was worried about that very fine edge of the wheel getting blunt, break or whatever. He then said to me that Somta use these wheels to make milling cutters.
    I decided to give it a go, and he machined it to a 60dg angle for me. At home I took one of my throw(away) knives 58-59Rc and tried the wheel. Used a bit of s/oil with water to keep the blade cool. I could not believe my eyes, although he said to me that it will do the job. There it was, a perfect smooth shining nail nick. It just show us again that modern technology can help us taking the pain out of knifemaking.
    If you have a cross wise on your drillpress the wheel will do the job. You do not need high speed although they can take up to 9000rpm.
    Hope this will help some. I must go now as I am busy with 10 lockblades and cannot wait to do those nick's.

Willie

Blog Entries
    Willie, thanks, I think you just saved me from extreme nail nick blues! I make multiblades, and cutting the nicks before hardening is tricky at best, since it needs to be in just the right spot.
    PM on its way.

can these be ordered from somta directly, or how do we go about this?

Hi Dramako

Somta do not supply these wheels. The wheels are made for Somta at the factory where I got my wheel. I think it would be the best to deal with me direct to sort out what and how. After that I will contact the owner and he will e-mail you to give you a price and so on.

Willie e-mail: awp@mweb.co.za

Thanks Willie. Email sent.

Me too, me too!! e-mail sent!