Thread: Rust/corrosion & magnatism

Rust/corrosion & magnatism

Does anyone here know how magnetism effects the rust or corrosion resistance of a carbon steel blade.
    Someone told me that if I magnetise my blades they will be less likely to rust.

Any comments?
    Web Page: sdknives.webs.com

I don't think it does. In any event, a magnetic blade is not a good idea IMO...

I don't know of any direct effect. However indirectly it can be bad. Magneticized blade will attract carbon steel particles .These may rust and in turn rust the blade.

On the Lively Forge Knifemaking unplugged video the gentleman holds the knife to true north to remagnetize the blade. I guess it is a load of hogwash then?

if a piece of steel capable of being magnetised is placed in a magnetic field and lightly tapped it will pick up some of the magnetism.
    Soooo this is not total hogwash but the last thing one wants is a slightly magnetic blade.
    Maybe , in a survival situation , this can be done to a sewing needle to then float it on on water and even the very slight magnetism will rotate it to show magnetic north!

If magnetism would help keep the blade sharp, one would expect that every manufacturer of gentleman's razors/razor blades would magnetize their blade.....

Interesting question, Des.

However, everyday experiences have proved just the opposite.

The guy I saw the other day must have been Des !! Floating in his pool ,on his back , with a sword held against his chest ! Surrounded by a group each holding a compass comparing their compass to Des .