Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Generators - who's buying one?

Blog Entries
    Buffalohump, are you using led lights? I changed all my lights to led and it brings the required wattage down significantly, so low that all my lights consume about 260 watts in total.

Blog Entries
    I must say that I would love to go off-grid with both an internal electricity supply and an internal water supply. Alas just now it is not practical.
    I think that a battery back up with and inverter in sufficient for the time being but in the years to come, as the solar solution becomes more mature, I will head that way.

We have LEDs in some places and the low energy bulbs in others. The only place we dont have them are in the lounge lights, cos they have a dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by alan12690 View Post
    Buffalohump, are you using led lights? I changed all my lights to led and it brings the required wattage down significantly, so low that all my lights consume about 260 watts in total.

Steve, with a battery back-up you are already more than half-way there. Once you have that installed, its relatively simple to add solar panels to harvest the energy, depending of course if you have roof access.

As for water, look at an atmospheric water dispenser. This pulls water out of the air (humidity) filters and chills it and dispenses it at your convenience. Its limited in what it can produce and therefore used mostly for drinking and cooking purposes its still a great solution that will head off our next crisis, which many predict will be water-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven65 View Post
    I must say that I would love to go off-grid with both an internal electricity supply and an internal water supply. Alas just now it is not practical.
    I think that a battery back up with and inverter in sufficient for the time being but in the years to come, as the solar solution becomes more mature, I will head that way.

Water supply is already a problem here. During the summer months the supply is cut off for about 5 hours during the day and from about 22:00 at night until 06:00 in the morning. Some days the water is off for most of the day. I had a water tank installed last year so that problem is solved.

Well this gennie is already earning its keep. Out for four hours yesterday and already this morning we are down...