Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Elite #1 November Edition.

I got to bid first but was shot down pretty quick, dam it I wanted this one!!

The lastest bid is $1000 which is a show of how people value your work J!
    The workmanship is incredible on your knives!

Quote Originally Posted by SAKC View Post

Clyde, people will through money at anything these days...

Just joking!!! Well done Jason. I hate these auctions from a buyer perspective as it puts the nice goodies out of reach for us mere mortals

Quote Originally Posted by SAKC View Post

Thanks very much clyde!

Quote Originally Posted by Kletsou View Post
    Clyde, people will through money at anything these days...

Just joking!!! Well done Jason. I hate these auctions from a buyer perspective as it puts the nice goodies out of reach for us mere mortals
    lol..... Thanks Corne!
    Sorry it doesnt end well for the buyers, but the Elites will be what actually pays me some money. Clyde will tell you, we work for free at the prices knife makers charge (our case anyway)... Its hard work... But its the love and customer satisfaction that gives us the kick!!!

Here is my take on this matter of prices ...

SA makers must set their prices at what the US is willing to pay for a custom knife and charge for their work in US$. The local maker can at his/her own discretion give SA buyers a % discount.

Local makers are not in business to help SA buyers get knives at low prices. They are in business to make a living. They have to take advantage of the exchange rates and different market realities.

A buyer in the US can get a knife from a local maker that is as good as anything made in the USA so why should we be the place where bargains can be had? If a US buyer is willing to pay $1000 for a custom knife then why should we sell our knives for $300? How big should the penalty be for "Not Made in the USA"?

This is especially relevant considering that our material is imported from the US paying $ (plus taxes and duties).

There are makers in this country that must up their prices substantially to make it worthwhile for them and stop trying to keep people happy on both sides of the pond with affordable custom knives. The price is the price. A maker's time and skill cost money.

A custom maker is better of doing 10 items at $100 each than a 100 items for $10 each. Let the factories do 100 for $10. A custom maker should not measure his success on the length of his waiting list but on how he works the economics to make a decent living out of doing what he loves doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    lol..... Thanks Corne!
    Sorry it doesnt end well for the buyers, but the Elites will be what actually pays me some money. Clyde will tell you, we work for free at the prices knife makers charge (our case anyway)... Its hard work... But its the love and customer satisfaction that gives us the kick!!!
    Hey - this is the way things are going! It works for me that there are these auctions. Makes the product sought after and various other benefits I am to lazy to type out and list…
    There is a line between "for the love of the cause" and "keeping the pot boiling". No matter how we look at it, there are pure economics involved and I am definitely not complaining as I believe in the end, we all stand to benefit. No one wants a business struggling to keep its head above water! We all know phrases like:
    • You get what you pay for
    • There is a premium on quality
    • There is a premium on exclusivity
    • Fit for purpose
    • Etcetera, etcetera…
    I believe there must be good benefits to the maker (which include creativity, building a name, making a fair and good income). [except for Clyde who really works for free; for those who want to order from him... :-)]
    On the knife nut side we benefit as we have access to a great variety of quality products.

Back on track! This is a great knife Jason and I am really chuffed with your achievement! Well done!

- way t' go, Jason...........really looking good - and - great news on the auction

Have updated that thread I started over on BB too...

Once again dude absolutely stunning work. Well done.

I see somebody already said awesome. Let me put that in capital letters. AWESOME!!

except for Clyde who really works for free; for those who want to order from him... :-)
    Santa Clyde is way too generous yes.

Back on track! This is a great knife Jason and I am really chuffed with your achievement! Well done!

thanks Corne and Francois!
    I think we all on the same page here!

Quote Originally Posted by Chui View Post
    - way t' go, Jason...........really looking good - and - great news on the auction

Have updated that thread I started over on BB too...
    Hey thanks for that Paul!
    I must still give you a month you can expect a knife. Wasn't a hundred percent sure you still wanted in. (regarding your BB comment)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
    Once again dude absolutely stunning work. Well done.
    Thanks Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus Steyn View Post
    I see somebody already said awesome. Let me put that in capital letters. AWESOME!!
    Thank you Kobus!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Santa Clyde is way too generous yes.
    He certainly is!