Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CKG 2014! Woohoo!

It was a super show - thanks everybody.

The folks standing behind the knives are always a big highlight for me.

I'm amazed at the number of knives for sale for R1000 or less. There was some terrific value at the show this year.

There were also plenty of damaged fingers/ fingertips! Take care, fellas.

It was two years since I had attended the last show and it was good to see familiar faces. Had the opportunity to chat with JD and Mr Damascus, Neels and a few others. Also got to handle the fantastic work of art that Ettore had on the guild table. Got the opportunity to rag Steven about handling his knives and have a fat chuckle because my 14 yr old daughter was rather offended by a maker trying to sell her a girly Pink knife. All in all a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Vanderveken View Post

My apologies Jason, I actually uploaded the wrong pic, the stub is a Cape Guild ticket for those who were there as a reference for size, the top slippie is one which I picked up at the last Cape show I attended in 2012 the Halfrich Rounder patterned folder in Micarta was one that JD built for me, 3.4" blade and a 4" handle, to rotate with my other slippies and DH 450 for my back pocket.

I realize that my picture of the previous post paints the wrong questions, hope this clears it up.

Oh by the way Francois brought your knife over and the ergo's are great, a tad smaller than I thought, pictures do not do the knife justice. Good job, and it was one of the earlier ones. Excellent work Jason.
    Oh I see... Well I really LOVE that JD... super classy one Guy!

Thank you for the kind words on the Ranger. There have been some very small changes to improve on some finishing's. And slightly thinner grind behind the bevel these days. Also a slightly finer belt finish. But thank you Guy... I hope to meet you, and what seems to be a good partner in crime Steven, one day in Capetown.

Ranger got a positive reception. Those that saw and handled it liked it. Steven handled it for the first time and he seemed impressed with it.

I love the more "aggressive" belt finish on mine. It is different to the other blade finishes in my collection. I'm sure Jason can make 'em as smooth as mercury but for me it fitted the Ranger theme.

As I mentioned at the show Jason will, at the end of this month, run an auction on Instagram for the very first Ranger Elite. This one also comes with a stunning hand-carved leather sheath. Whomever gets this one will have a very special knife.
    Last edited by Francois; 11-17-2014 at 09:02 PM.

I will bring my camera along next year. I was told that taking photos at shows is a sensitive matter as some makers do not appreciate shots to be taken of their work. If it's not an issue then I will be happy to snap some pix next time. If there is an issue please let me know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    I will bring my camera along next year. I was told that taking photos at shows is a sensitive matter as some makers do not appreciate shots to be taken of their work. If it's not an issue then I will be happy to snap some pix next time. If there is an issue please let me know.
    I always ask if it is ok. I am sure everyone would enjoy your pics.