Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gems

Thanks for the kind words gents - definitely a departure from my normal style which leads neatly to:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven65 View Post
    Gareth these are both very nice mate. I did not have a very good look at them at the Show but seeing them in person they are even nicer than the pics.

What you have to remember is that the knife buying public is changing, becoming younger and using the internet to check out forums and website's like this one.
    This has led to many younger collectors moving away from the more traditional stuff and towards more practical users and tacticals. That does not mean that knives like this cannot be sold, it just means that unless you are well known for it (eg-Des Horn) it is hard to sell upmarket gentleman's style knives.

Andre van Heerden and I have been tracking the popularity of knife genre's the past few years and the buyers are becoming younger, more edgy and less interested in the classic and traditional. Your knives fit right into this mould.

At the KGSA Show this year I told you that you would sell out within a few hours, I was wrong..........You sold out within an hour of the show opening!! (Less these two gentleman's knives) I have NEVER seen anyone sell out that fast at a KGSA show. You broke records!!

As nice as these gents knives are my advice for the moment is forget them. Make what you are getting known for........user and tacticals. Only make gents knives for order.

Keep at it, you are doing good!
    Sage advice all - Thanks Steven I actually remember you telling me something very similar when I got all excited about slip-joints. Your points line up exactly with what we learned from the show - it was a great lesson in what I should be focusing on, we noticed a very definite trend as well - a trend I'll definitely be exploiting in the future. I still have a few fun projects on the cards but it'll be within the bounds of what people know me for.

Gazza

on the flip side , I would buy one of these as an investment .... one day I can say I have a limited edition gentlemen folder from the great Mr Bull!

Hi Gareth we have never met but I like youre work you are a solid knife maker with back log orders up to the ying yang!!

Gavin Dickerson and me work together and we talked about "that knife" that dont sell.......

He said to me that any knife sells, in the 30 odd years he has been making knifes he had some knife/s that waited years for that one client that wanted that specific knife! There will be that one "guy" that walks into the show and walks directly to youre table and ignoring all the other makers, pick up that one that never sell and say how does he owe you!! So I think each and every knife has a owner they just dont know it yet

Good work and keep at it

Martin

Gareth those knives are stunning.
    Regards, Johan Ellis

http://www.kgsa.co.za/memberprofile....3bff57ad496806
    http://capeknifemakersguild.com/?page_id=163

Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. (Albert Einstein)

are any of the gems still available?

edit:

Ill take the blue one as per our PM's
    Last edited by wolf5391; 10-07-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven65 View Post
    Gareth these are both very nice mate. I did not have a very good look at them at the Show but seeing them in person they are even nicer than the pics.

What you have to remember is that the knife buying public is changing, becoming younger and using the internet to check out forums and website's like this one.
    This has led to many younger collectors moving away from the more traditional stuff and towards more practical users and tacticals. That does not mean that knives like this cannot be sold, it just means that unless you are well known for it (eg-Des Horn) it is hard to sell upmarket gentleman's style knives.

Andre van Heerden and I have been tracking the popularity of knife genre's the past few years and the buyers are becoming younger, more edgy and less interested in the classic and traditional. Your knives fit right into this mould.

At the KGSA Show this year I told you that you would sell out within a few hours, I was wrong..........You sold out within an hour of the show opening!! (Less these two gentleman's knives) I have NEVER seen anyone sell out that fast at a KGSA show. You broke records!!

As nice as these gents knives are my advice for the moment is forget them. Make what you are getting known for........user and tacticals. Only make gents knives for order.

Keep at it, you are doing good!
    Wise words and very good council Steven! I love Gazza's work and these are prime examples of what can be done! But to support your comments above have a look at how hard this prime piece has worked since the show:

Here you can see it has not left the pocket except to work...: