Thread: New British 'Bowie'

New British 'Bowie'

Will Adams, of Bushblade, has made this new lovely fixed blade knife - a clip-point, slightly smaller bowie-style - but bigger than most bushcraft. Made in O1 with 4mm thickness.

Great little vid, nice way to market it..........

What do people think..? Does it really break into any new ground..? Who will buy it..? What could be done to make it attractive to other buyers - collectors the world over..?

Last edited by Chui; 05-13-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Relaxing and very interesting...
    I like his presentation...
    This knife could be the next "Roy Myers" knife style to engulf the world...
    Thanks for that Paul...

very nice looking blade and a gentry style video nice way to advertise a knife

i really like this knife. the blade shape is excellent and so much more interesting than the normal bushclone stuff.

dont think i would shave with it though as i would risk losing an ear at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chastiser View Post

dont think i would shave with it though as i would risk losing an ear at the very least.
    ........more, if it slipped out yer 'and

Thanks for sharing this Paul. Very nice looking blade and particularly impressed with the leatherwork!

I dont know anything about bushcraft other than what I have seen Ray Mears do on TV, so I really cant comment on its facility in that regard. I know the bushcraft lads seem very keen on scandi grinds and spearpoint/drop point profiles, as the chap said.

Seems to me it would work perfectly as a general purpose knife. Perhaps a bit larger than most people would like to carry but if you have a stout belt, it really shouldnt make much difference. It would work even better lashed to your pack but some believe the knife should always be attached to your person if you're out in the true wilds.

I totally concur with his choice of handle materials, love canvas micarta myself and I think green with red liners is a great combo.

Blade steel I am less enthusiastic about. While O-1 takes a great edge and is very tough, like 52100 it rusts while you look at it and requires a lot of maintenance. My feeling is there are better choices of tool steel out there, like A-2 or CPM-3V that wont rust as easily. That's my personal preference.

As to the design I think its great. Love a clip point myself. The handle looks excellent, flared or bird's beak type butts are my favourite too.

As to the video, nicely done but a few comments: spend more time showing the knife itself. There were very few close ups of the knife and none that I saw showing the whole knife. Nothing annoys me more than when they talk about the knife but dont zoom in to it so you can see the thing in detail. The shaving stunt was interesting but irrelevant I feel. A shaving sharp edge is not going to last long in the wild anyway. It would be better to show more of what you saw in the beginning - actual tasks the knife will be performing and then if he can shave with it after that (demonstrating edge holding), I'd be extremely impressed!

One thing I would really like to know is: what boots is he wearing? They look very nice indeed and I'd really fancy a pair for myself.

the boots look like they may be sommat made by Lennons...

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/

After doing bushcraft full time for 25 years with work around the world,but never being an enthusiast of the bushcraft knife
    I thought "Here we go another hybrid bushie knife!"
    A bushie never the less.
    No getting away from the fact both the knife and sheath are excellently crafted and finished.
    But for me it's not jumping out at me and getting my buttons pressed.
    I can see it being a hit for the bushcraft knife enthusiasts, so hope they enjoy it.
    ATB
    Bri

Not my cup of tea, i cant say i have ever been a fan of the bushcraft style knife.

This one definitely has a prettier blade profile, but it's still clearly a bushcraft knife given the "Scandi Grind", which is something I don't really like at all. To me the grind has no elegance. I know they are great for bushcraft usage - battoning, making fuzz sticks, chopping branches, but I think they are far less practical as a hunter / skinner or for any sort of general camp kitchen type usage - I cant imaging preparing food with that wedge shaped grind.

I'm sure the bushcraft fans will enjoy it though.
    Last edited by RickA; 11-28-2013 at 08:01 AM.