Graham Knight

Talking Steel and heat treatment.

Rate this Entry
To all enthusiasts…

Whether you are a veteran or a new comer to this game, should you have a question relating to steel or heat treatment and what sets steels apart from one another, I am sure that I will be able to assist. Should I not have the answer… I most certainly have the toys to get to the bottom of any pressing question. I own a Metallurgical Testing Laboratory based in Gauteng [url]www.mtlabs.co.za[/url] which is SANAS Accredited. This forwards me the opportunity to uncover issues that have previously been left unresolved.

One must remember that Metallurgy and Heat Treatment is a Science. This means that results need to be repeatable by definition.

Any issues… Blast away and I will do my best to assist.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm new to SA Blade and to read this is like Manna from heaven!!!!! Also a professional metallurgist with over 40 years spent gaining the knowledge one doesn't acquire at university, mostly in the steel heat treatment field, I find that most Knife Makers I chat with really don't have a clue when it comes to understanding steel, it's properties and heat treatment. I feel this is the heart of a good knife (especially one not destined to sit on the mantelpiece looking pretty) and I spend much time at club meetings assisting others to understand. Some of the practices I've seen at forging demonstrations leave me speechless!!! I've started publishing a few articles on my website
    ( http://www.grahamclarkeknives.co.za/blog-3/ ) which I hope you will all fine useful and like Graham above please feel free to bring out your queries into this forum or contact me directly through the website.
    [QUOTE=Soutie;bt42]... I find that most Knife Makers I chat with really don't have a clue when it comes to understanding steel, it's properties and heat treatment. I feel this is the heart of a good knife (especially one not destined to sit on the mantelpiece looking pretty)....[/QUOTE]

Hello Soutie, One must always remember that Metallurgy is an Engineering Degree of which the concepts that we learned (which become second nature to us) have never been taught or learned by knife makers. this is what makes forums like this so important so that we are able to offer up information without cost (well at least nothing is coming my way) which inevitably changes the way knife makers operate. I find that the knife makers are HUNGRY for knowledge and information. I started a thread under the forum tab which looks at case studies called Heat treating questions. take a look at it and see the hunger that they have.