PDA

View Full Version : What type of edge to put on a hunting knife ?.

Lupara
09-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Hello,

I need some advice please.

I have been asked to sharpen a fixed blade stainless hunting knife.

I am not sure what type of edge to put on this knife.

Should I put a highly polished (mirror finish) edge on the blade or should I put on a coarser edge (say about 600 grit).

Will a 30 degree angle be OK.

What do you you think is best for a blade that will used exclusively for gutting and skinning animals.

Thank you.

Tool
09-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I would have left it in a coarser edge and have done it at 30 degrees if it was to be heavily used. Just my 2 pence.

djtzar
09-10-2014, 08:13 PM
definitely not an expert here , but a good 'working' edge needs to be coarser no fancy mirror edges .

depending on the steel type , a 30 deg incl will do the trick although more regular sharpening will be needed.

think the the key here is ease of field sharpening so nothing complicated like back bevels and what not :)

my 2c but I'm sure one of the gurus will chime in ....

MadRookie
09-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Firstly are we talking 30 degrees per side (DPS)?? If not, then 15 DPS (30 degrees inclusive) is too acute for a knife of this nature.

Secondly what type of steel - this has a major impact on the edge angle in terms of strength, durability & edge retention?

If the steel is good, I would hesitate to go above 25 DPS.....

A 2k edge is a good all round performer for a hunting knife.

....my 2c....

:)

Doc
09-10-2014, 09:21 PM
2k edge- I don't understand the meaning...?

MadRookie
09-11-2014, 04:48 AM
2k edge = sharpening and then finishing the edge on a 2 000 grit sharpening stone.

:)

Lupara
09-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Hello,

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated.

The knife is a well used older model Kershaw, I do not know what type of steel was used for this knife,, but I assume that the steel is "middle of the road" stuff.

I will put a 30 degree per side angle on it, and finish to 600 grit for now and take it from there.

If the owner is not satisfied, I can always put on a finer edge later.

It appears from all your responses that a mirror finished edge is not suitable for a hard working field knife.

Thanks again.

Chui
09-11-2014, 08:49 AM
- all Dozier hunting knives come with 40deg, so 20 per side.........I'd go no steeper.

But definitely shallower, to 30deg total, if the steel is more exotic/better edge retention

Clive Mechanic
09-11-2014, 01:09 PM
firstly i don't hunt so take what i say with a pinch of salt...

on my edc's i normally sharpen to 15 degrees per side (30 degrees inclusive), and they perform really well even though i use them a lot. occasionally i've had some very minor chipping which is fixed with the next lot of sharpening. BUT when i use the knives i try to take care of the edges and if i'm doing something that will very likely damage the edge, then i get a different tool.

i would say it comes down to how you normally use a hunting knife. if you often hit bones etc (if that happens?! remember i don't know a thing about hunting), then go with a 20 degree per side edge like Chui mentioned, if you mostly are just cutting flesh and occasionally have light contact with bones etc 15 ps should be fine.

would love to hear more from the hunters on what a hunting knife has to put up with

Paul W
09-11-2014, 03:56 PM
firstly i don't hunt so take what i say with a pinch of salt

would love to hear more from the hunters on what a hunting knife has to put up with

If you are really interested in this subject, you could do a lot worse than have a read of these pages.

Phil Wilson is a maker and user of knives, his articles and knowledge of steels/HT puts him in another league IMO

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/about.htm

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/articles.htm

Clive Mechanic
09-11-2014, 04:16 PM
If you are really interested in this subject, you could do a lot worse than have a read of these pages.

Phil Wilson is a maker and user of knives, his articles and knowledge of steels/HT puts him in another league IMO

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/about.htm

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/articles.htm

AH! thanks Paul, i'll definately give them a thorough read!