PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening equipment while traveling

marthinus
06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I can fully appreciate the choice for many to use sharpening systems like the Wicked Edge, Edge Pro, Lansky etc, however, for me personally traveling a lot for work and personal reasons I had to re-evaluate how I sharpen and my traveling kit. Time spent sharpening is of big concern.

So, after some time learning myself how to do proper free hand sharpening and getting good results I started looking for stones that I could use in the field, give good results and not take up a lot of space. Last year I bought a DMT coarse/fine, UF Spyderco rod and non slip mat. I have been able to get good consistent results no matter the steel.

It should be mentioned, before I go into the field I rebevel my knives at home to around 10 degrees per side and I tend to go to a very high polish. For example:

Manix2 DLC:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u388/geronki3/2012/DSCN1472.jpg

Therefore, maintenance in the field is easier in my experience = less time.

So, here is a video of the kit in action. Note: I am not concerned with getting a high degree of polish on the bevel while in the field, but a sharp knife that can push cut fine paper such as receipt paper or phone book paper is adequate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWE14n6-8MU&feature=youtu.be

Chui
06-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Excellent. A good easy to follow demonstration - cheers, Marthinus!

SAKC
06-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I also like the DMT diafolders but prefer the sharpmaker. How do you rebevel to 10 degrees?

marthinus
06-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Excellent. A good easy to follow demonstration - cheers, Marthinus!

Thanks Paul

I also like the DMT diafolders but prefer the sharpmaker. How do you rebevel to 10 degrees?

I use a Buck 3 stone sharpener that I got from Due South at home.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31EDHKV397L.jpg

The 10 degrees per side is just my average I get with the natural way of sharpening, putting the knife down on the stone (at 1:33 in the video), tilting it up ever so slightly, sharpen. To go lower I have to really concentrate. To go slightly higher is just a small tilt upwards. After a while you learn to "read" the scratch pattern.

Chui
06-20-2013, 03:21 PM
- but, to get that 10 angle each side first............you have to grind away a lot of metal on 'something' from the original 20 average per side on a standard knife - yeah..?

Henre
06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Ive got a very similar kit to that but in Arkansas stone, its got a fine medium and coarse grit stone about 12cm in lenth and packs nice and small...

marthinus
06-20-2013, 06:42 PM
- but, to get that 10 angle each side first............you have to grind away a lot of metal on 'something' from the original 20 average per side on a standard knife - yeah..?

The interesting thing is that one does not remove a lot of steel from the edge itself. By dropping the angle you sharpen the shoulders of the edge and some of the primary down until it just reaches the edge, thereby you dont really lose life of the knife but in my experience increase performance. Does that make any sense?

Here is a good example, sharpened by EvilD. Edge is approximately 20 degrees inclusive (10 per side), yet because of the knife being so thick behind the edge itself one has to remove a lot of the shoulder and some of the primary, but very little of the actual edge ietself.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/Knives/DSC00347.jpg

Chui
06-20-2013, 06:47 PM
I bought and used a http://www.heinnie.com/Diafold-Magna-Guide/p-0-0-4796/ on a smallish folder with S30V blade - results not good at all with lowering the angle. Probably too simple a piece of kit.

Guess I need more practice and more patience.. LOL

Guy Vanderveken
06-21-2013, 12:30 PM
DMT folder, course fine, like now whilst I await to board in Sri Lanka, H1 Pacific Salt and the Vic, easy to work with too

MadRookie
06-21-2013, 03:17 PM
A relief bevel (thinning a knife behind the primary cutting edge), and then adding a micro bevel as the primary cutting edge has 2 distinct advantages:

1. It enhances the cutting performance by virtue of the blade being much thinner behind the edge.
2. Sharpening/touch ups becomes a breeze, as only the very tiny, narrow micro cutting bevel has to be sharpened (the micro bevels adds strength & edge longevity).

Steel/use/application dependency will dictate the extreme of the relief & micro bevel angles.

Some of my better knives are ground to 8 degrees per side relief with a micro bevel of 10 degrees per side.

I love this concept and apply it to virtually all my units, excepting real heavy bangers like my Deba.

:)

PS: Nice going there Marthinus.

:)

SAKC
06-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Here's my travel kit goes everywhere with me

knife36
10-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks Marthinus , very interesting .

Yosarian
10-10-2013, 01:29 AM
May I ask why you chose the UF spyderco rod? I just carry the the fine/extra fine while travelling. I have never needed anything more course and the extra fine is equivalent of 1200 wet and dry so gets a very good finish that with a few swipes on a strop polishes up nicely.

marthinus
10-10-2013, 07:24 AM
May I ask why you chose the UF spyderco rod?

At the time when I was shopping around the UF cost the same as the Fine (already had the fine on the Sharpmaker) and wanted to give it a try to see if I wanted the UF benchstone. I was very impressed and baught the UF benchstone a while later and the UF triangle rod went into the traveling kit.

I just carry the the fine/extra fine while travelling. I have never needed anything more course and the extra fine is equivalent of 1200 wet and dry so gets a very good finish that with a few swipes on a strop polishes up nicely.

I have caused some significant damage to my knives while working and had to do some repairs. Hence I have the coarse/fine DMT for that. However, lately I acquired even coarser grit (80 grit) to remove more material for serious damage before moving to the coarse/fine DMT.

http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/295x295/knifecenter/lansky/images/LSLDPXC.jpg

mete
10-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Mine is an early Eze-Lap diamond rod that telescopes intothe handle . This one has years of use obvious from the CA address ! Worn finer the grit is perfect. For quick and easy sharpening rather than fancy polished edge. Inn about a week it will go with me on my next red deer hunt coming soon.