PDA

View Full Version : Lanskey

2Tim215
05-23-2013, 03:34 PM
I have always been a fan of Lanskey sharpeners and a few years ago I lent my kit and never saw it again - very stupid. But today my new diamond stone arrived after 6 months of waiting. Very difficult to get here locally. Med grit stone and am going to test it out on a new knife this weekend at 25 Deg's

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz112/nkwana/700392_1_zps7be98232.jpg (http://s819.photobucket.com/user/nkwana/media/700392_1_zps7be98232.jpg.html)

Will post on how it went.

Mike Bowler
05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
I have a set and use it regularly .I think they great

Ian de Lange
05-23-2013, 10:45 PM
I also use a Lansky kit to sharpen my knives that I make. I do the initial grind of the cutting edge with a belt, and then I finish with the Lansky.
A lot of elbow grease is needed but I believe that way I get a good controlled cutting edge.

marthinus
05-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Look forward to your results. Ps. I don't know if the Lanskey diamonds are similar to others, where the stones need to break in before you start getting consistent results.

2Tim215
05-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Hid from the wife and baby last night and gave it a go on a blade I made a while back. Blade edge was at 0.7 mm and it took me 10 min to get a good cutting edge at 25 deg's. Cuts very well, better than the normal stones. Will carry on this weekend and then strop with leather to see how sharp I can get it then do a few tests. Tried dry first and then with some Q20 - better with Q20

SAKC
05-24-2013, 01:06 PM
I used to use the Lansky, but found that the one side would always have a different angle due to the knife twisting in the clamp. Diamond stones cut well.

marthinus
05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Hid from the wife and baby last night and gave it a go on a blade I made a while back. Blade edge was at 0.7 mm and it took me 10 min to get a good cutting edge at 25 deg's. Cuts very well, better than the normal stones. Will carry on this weekend and then strop with leather to see how sharp I can get it then do a few tests. Tried dry first and then with some Q20 - better with Q20

You should really try some water with sunlight. Just dunk an rinse every now and then, this will keep the stone clean. First thing would be to wash it in warm water to remove the Q20

TALLDAVE
05-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Marthinus, should one use water and sunlight on ceramic stones as well?

marthinus
05-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Marthinus, should one use water and sunlight on ceramic stones as well?

Well, it is a personal thing. Experimentation is the best in finding what works for you. I like to use some soapy water on my stones for two main reasons:

1. It helps with keeping the stone from clogging (oils do this as well)
2. It is easy to remove and clean from the stone.

The latter is something that is a real advantage to me. Oil is harder to remove from a stone in my experience whereas the soapy water is just rinse, dab on a towel and it is dry.

I should mention. I use soapy water when a lot of work needs to be done such as reprofiling edges to 10 degrees per side. Just a quick touchup or just 20 passes per side (either benchstones or spyderco sharpmaker) I just do dry as there is not enough metal to be removed to really clog the stone.

A few years ago there was some serious discussion on wet vs dry sharpening from a health perspective. Recently some issues came to light with the Wicked Edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMgHOrherfk

and the response from the maker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-cuE16U_0

TALLDAVE
05-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Marthinus, thanhks for the info and informative video clips.

2Tim215
05-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks marthinus, appreciate the info. Tried this weekend on a Damascus blade and a N690 blade using soapy water. Had them both razor sharp in under 10 minuts from a .8mm edge. Used a leather strop to smooth out the edge after sharpening. I am impressed and it was worth the money spent for small to medium blades.

MadRookie
05-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Yep, I use water with a dash of sunlight liquid.

The soap acts as a surfactant, breaking the surface tension, resulting in less stone clogging & overall better performance.

Diamond based stones will also last longer this way.

:)

TALLDAVE
05-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks MR

MadRookie
05-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Just a reminder for those using diamonds with water solution - always ensure that you thoroughly rinse & dry them 100% otherwise any metal schwarf remaining will result in rusting of the plate that the diamonds are embedded on.

Once cleaned & dried I normally cover the plate with a folded paper towel to absorb surplus air moisture.

:)

2Tim215
05-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks - better go and do that.

TALLDAVE
05-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Ditto!