PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning blades

Hatori
03-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Good Day PPl.
What is the best option on cleaning blades.
My knives get a bit dusty and sticky after use.
Z

NeelsRoos
03-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Z
I find using a genuine clean dry chamois (not a plastic chamois) to be the best for removing fingerprints and dust. If it is greasy I will wash it with a mild soap solution and dry it properly with a clean soft cloth. Lastly I will go over it with the chamois leather.

Henning wilkinson
04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
On damascus blades I use a small squirt of q10 it will clean of any grime and has a rust removing action so if there is any it gets rid of it after getting it in every wear I take some soft t paper and just wipe it clean leaving I light coat of oil if it is a knife you use every day I use a silicone spray after a good clean with the q 10 t wice a.week should be all you need

oubaas jordaan
04-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Doesn`t silicone attract moisture? If so, is it a good idea to use it on a non stainless blade? Just asking.

Henning wilkinson
04-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Oubaas
I don't know about silicone attacking moisture the silicone I use forms a film for the want of a better word I have been using it for a while now and find it works well I will post the name as soon as I get to the workshop I know it is made by wurth

JD Ellis
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I don’t work with carbon steel, only stainless. I use “FW1 Waterless Wash and Wax Polish”. This product is used to polish vehicles but believe me I use it to clean my blades and I have never seen a cleaner blade. Just spray it on, leave for a while and wipe it clean. The blade will be so clean that you would not want to touch it.

l2lku
04-10-2011, 01:08 AM
I use window cleaner. Windex here in the US. Is it still Windowlene in SA? Learned that from a knife store owner.

Depending on what gunk is on there, sometimes a lubricant like WD40, RemOil etc also works well for cleaning.

Then rinse, dry, lube.