PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco CF Stretch ZDP-189 and two edge geometry performance on pipe

marthinus
05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Reprofiled edge performance starts around 3:20

I received the knife with a good edge, but it did seem to bind in the pipes I sometimes cut.

Relief edge was applied at around 10degrees per side and I left a micro bevel of the previous edge. The knife's performance has increased significantly. At least, it feels that way.

Thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY1JTj6qK70

MadRookie
05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Nice video Marthinus - I am a firm believer of relief bevels with micro bevels - they really work wonders.

:)

Guy Vanderveken
05-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Great Vid Brother,

What a difference. Good explanation of performance improvement.

How was the ZDP to reprofile?

marthinus
05-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the kind words guys

How was the ZDP to reprofile?

Surprisingly not that bad. I used a 600grit diamond paddle. All that I have with me while away from home and took my time. Around an hour in total I would guess. I have spent 2 and a half hours on D2 with a silicone stone :( thats the night I decided to get diamonds.

I did however realise I need something better for reprofiling in the field and ordered a DMT D6FC 6-Inch Dia-Sharp Double-Sided Fine/Coarse Bench Stone. It will make my life easier when I am away from my other stones.

MadRookie
05-25-2012, 08:58 PM
ZDP-189 is easy peasy to re-profile & sharpen........like taking candy from a kid......

:lol:

Rjowen0984
05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
ZDP-189 is easy peasy to re-profile & sharpen........like taking candy from a kid......

:lol:

How heavily armed is that kid?!