PDA

View Full Version : Blade Protection

MadRookie
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Yo People:

Dealing with reactive and/or blade steels that oxidize readily can become a pita.

Some time back, I came across this product, and started using it - WOW, it is just unbelievable - check the actual tests below, especially the 2nd link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGSNw66IQU4

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/rust-protection-fluid-film-vs-xf7-vs-wd-40-a-38007/

:)

TALLDAVE
01-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Hey MR, great stuff-- is it available in SA

MadRookie
01-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey MR, great stuff-- is it available in SA

Yes, the agent is based in Fishoek - Cape Town.

Here is the contact details:

http://www.fluid-film.co.za/contact_us.html

TALLDAVE
01-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Henning wilkinson
01-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I will be ordering some on Monday that stuff looks great thanx for the info

MadRookie
01-29-2012, 08:50 AM
I have some carbon blades which I rarely use anymore.

The once in a blue moon that I do use them, I strop after use before stowage.

The stropping then removes any build up patina on the edge of the edge - which is not good, left untreated for long periods - especially in a draw where you can not see the disaster happening....

Enter Fluid Film.

Shake can well, lightly spray on blade - spread all over the surface - let sit for a couple of minutes - then wipe as clean as you can with a clean cloth - back to stowage & whalla - blades are good...

....and it is food safe as well.

mozwood
01-29-2012, 10:53 AM
This guy seems to speak for fluid film:
"Our food grade is rated H1, for incidental contact."
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=198821
what this means:
'H1 lubricants are food-grade lubricants used in food-processing environments where there is the possibility of incidental food contact.'
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/445/food-grade-lubricants

So for storage this looks good, but for a user knife you send to a customer?

I remember reading a similar test where Briwax came out well for blade protection. Briwax is supposedly made of beeswax and carnubawax BUT I could not find any info on its food grade.

MadRookie
01-29-2012, 11:08 AM
I do not normally use any oils on a customer knife after sharpening.

On returning the blade the customer is informed what has been done, as well as the remedial action necessary/applicable.

On very rare occasions when I need to ship/post knives back to customers (specifically coastal regions), I will give it a very light coating of Camelia (tsubaki) oil, informing the customer of this.

The customer will usually do his own treatment of his blade to his own liking.

Most of them, including myself, now use Fluid Film - and 6 months later non of us are dead, dying or dehydrating with diarrhea.....

But yeah, everyone to his/her own I guess.

Rjowen0984
01-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks for that! There always seems to be loads of products available but getting them locally is another story!

TALLDAVE
01-30-2012, 12:34 PM
The guys are jacked up-- was given the contact no for the agent in Port Elizabeth this morning, and it was dropped off 10 minutes ago, great service, and Rodney out lined a load of other uses, which will make it even more useful.
Thanks MR for the contact:biggrin:

MadRookie
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
The guys are jacked up-- was given the contact no for the agent in Port Elizabeth this morning, and it was dropped off 10 minutes ago, great service, and Rodney out lined a load of other uses, which will make it even more useful.
Thanks MR for the contact:biggrin:

Yeah, got the same brilliant service in Cape Town.

A bit of "Googling" showed the vast applications it is good with.

Next to sliced bread I reckon this stuff is great!!

mete
01-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I've always used RIG [ rust inhibiting grease ] and VCI [volatile corrosion inhibitor] paper .Rig I use for gun storage and only a light coating needed .The gun is then ready for shooting no need to clean off RIG. RIG was off the market for a while , now returned .No idea if available in SA.
VCI has long been used in various industries.

marthinus
01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Thank you for sharing. I am waiting for a reply. On another note, probably not as gOod, but cook and spray also helps in protecting the blade somewhat.

MadRookie
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Thank you for sharing. I am waiting for a reply. On another note, probably not as gOod, but cook and spray also helps in protecting the blade somewhat.

The beauty of Fluid Film is that once you have applied it and wiped the blade clean - there is NO trace that you have treated the blade (other than a funny smell at first, which is actually AWFUL).

Thereafter use the blade as normal, wash as you normally would etc & re-apply Fluid Film every 4 months or so.

Amazing.....

Buffalohump
01-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Hmmm.... this is most interesting. Thanks for the info!

Hmmm.... the email contact for the local agent does not work.

Scott
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I know the local CT agent well if any of you are struggling to get hold of him.

I use FF on all my rifles and much of my fishing gear.

I don't mind the smell, smells like lanolin!

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is rather sticky, especially if not applied in a very light coating. On rifles with moving parts this tends to pick up dirt/ dust/ grit. (Ballistol is less sticky and I use this on the moving parts)

So do as Mad Rookie says and wipe it down very nicely on a knife blade.

Buffalohump
02-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Yeah I called 'em up but they still havent told me what I need to know, which is where can I get this stuff in Durbs. :yawn:

I know the local CT agent well if any of you are struggling to get hold of him.

I use FF on all my rifles and much of my fishing gear.

I don't mind the smell, smells like lanolin!

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is rather sticky, especially if not applied in a very light coating. On rifles with moving parts this tends to pick up dirt/ dust/ grit. (Ballistol is less sticky and I use this on the moving parts)

So do as Mad Rookie says and wipe it down very nicely on a knife blade.

2thDr
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
"spray and cook" is a great lubricant (For cases when reloading) but does appear to get thicker and gummy with time.
It would be great to know what the oil base ?

krowcustoms
02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I use Nitrozol for my guns, also works well for knives.

Buffalohump
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Just an update on this. I was in my local Wardkiss the other day and browsing around (like you do) I came across a lanolin based all-round lube/rust retardant called Lanoguard. I picked some up and have put it on my tool steel knives. Will see how it goes!

marthinus
04-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I bought some Herschell Silicone Spray available near the Q20 in Builders warehouse. Just something I felt like trying to see how it will protect the blade. It is food safe as well. I read that Gayle Bradley has been using silicone spray on his Gayle Bradley using CPM-M4 and has yet to see any form of rust.

Will be using it on my M4 blades and see how it holds up.

Adonis8100
05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Cool stuff there...i visited there by just click on the link....
one of my friend tell me about this,have encouraging stuff and i see is really good...

MadRookie
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
.....??? OK cool. I am just as exited - just never won not a Lotto, but maybe the previous time eh?? So I wait not to see what happens not.....are you confused???.....so am I.....???

Welcome - we understand...

...do we...???

:stunned::stunned::stunned: